Monday, December 12, 2011

How do I deal with havin alcoholic parents?

My parents are alcoholics. My mom is the worst and quit for about a year after an incident but then started up again. I have tryed talking to her numerous times and just feel like it only gets better for a couple days. I recently talked to my grandma and felt as if she was mad at me for doing that. I feel like I am in this lie because she tells me things like she dumped all the alcohl out and is gong to quit but then starts up again. Any suggestions how I could really tell that she needs to get help?How do I deal with havin alcoholic parents?
You can't change someone who doesn't want to change herself. I'm not sure how old you are but often the best thing you can do is just to remove harmful people from your life. If you are an adult, I suggest breaking contact with your parents. Losing their relationship with you may even be the wake-up call they need, but if it isn't, at least you've removed yourself from a toxic environment.How do I deal with havin alcoholic parents?
Buy her all the liquor she needs and shell stop drinking.
Bob, you can't take care of your parents. How old are you? If you are a minor (under age 18) you need to talk either to a trusted family member (aunt, uncle, cousin) OR a teacher or guidance counselor at school. Your parents need professional help. I know you love them, and you mean well, but it is not your job to try to help them, or stop them.



You can't stop them from drinking. They have a disease. It is not your fault. You need to focus on yourself. Not them. I know it's hard. I lived with it as a child too. Just remember it has nothing to do with you. It is THEIR disease, NOT YOURS. Do they abuse you? Hit you? Do they take care of you? Do you have enough to eat? Are your clothes washed? Is your house clean and taken care of? These are the things that would constitute ';neglect'; if they were not being done.



I wish you the best with this, but remember, you cannot do anything to stop them from drinking. It is totally up to them. They will get better if and when they want to get better. Until then, you need to take care of YOU, and if you are a child, talk to a trusted family member or a teacher/guidance counselor. God bless.
Bob,

Alcoholism is a disease with psychological, physiological, social, and family aspects. An alcoholic will only engage in treatment when he or she feels that things are so bad for him or her that they can not possibly get worse. This is called hitting bottom. Your mother and father have to hit bottom and choose treatment. Nothing you do will expedite that decision. Trying to talk an alcoholic out of drinking will have the same level of success as trying to talk a cancer patient out of his cancer. Alcoholism is as much of a disease as cancer.



People sometimes have to go through residential treatment programs 3 or 4 times before they are able to control the compulsion to drink. The compulsion is similar to the urge you and I feel when we have to go to the toilet.



At this point, you need to take care of yourself. Join AL-ANON or Ala-teen. You will meet people who have been where you are now. They can provide both emotional support to you and tell you how they coped with the situation you're now in.



Sean Roberts
they way you deal depends on how old you are..if you are old enough to move out the do that..both my parents were alcoholics. i lived with my dad, he usually just passed out. but i made sure to stay out of his way when i noticed he was on his way to a good drunk...my mom was the worst she would get really emotionally or wanna fight..the way i deal with her now that i've moved away is if she calls me drunk wanting to fight i don't answer the phone for a couple days..she doesn't do it anymore...

you could try to talk to them and let them know how you feel. its a gamble but it may work. some parents don't realize how their actions effect their kids...I hope things get better for you

No comments:

Post a Comment