Monday, December 12, 2011

Dealing with an alcoholic father.?

We've done all we can do to make him see what his action can %26amp; will do, but he doesn't seem to get it through his head. He lost his wife, my Mother 3 years ago, he's ALL we have left in this world %26amp; we don't want to see him sink down to the gutter. But last month he showed up drunk to my house %26amp; started raging out against my family all because we weren't willing to take him to pick up his truck, he was so close to fighting his own son, %26amp; began ranting about how his life wasn't worth anything. I hate to say it but that night I lost my father too. My siblings %26amp; I, have come to the conclusion that if he doesn't calm his act down, he will lose touch with all of us, we have to let my grandparents %26amp; his brothers/sisters know.. so if anything were to happen to him, we don't get blamed. It hurts, he's our father, but we can't allow him to hurt our family like this anymore. What would you guys do in a situation like this?Dealing with an alcoholic father.?
Sorry you have to go through so much.



Your father has to want to change on his own. There is nothing in this world that we can do to change that. My mother died in June 2007 because she refused the medical help that she needed. My brother died in August 2007 because he was so depressed over our mother dying that he made the choice in his life to drink himself to death. Some times it makes me angry that they never think about the people they are leaving behind when they make bad choices in life. I try to think about how things will effect some one else before I make a choice in life.



I think you are making the right decision, it may even bring him into reality. You were right in not taking him to pick up his truck when obviously he was drunk. Don't feel bad the choice is really his, not yours to make.Dealing with an alcoholic father.?
pray for him.
if you have $$$.....intervention



if you don't....go to Al-Anon, maybe somebody will have an idea
I think you should find an Al Anon chapter in your area, a support group for families of alcoholics. Good for you for setting boundaries. Don't let his drinking get you down. You should try to see if he will go for counselling as well. Let him know his actions will not be tolerated.
You and your sibs need to go to Al Anon meetings to understand better about alcoholism; more to it than you think, and if possible, get your dad into AA.
I HAVE AN ALCOHOLIC MOTHER.SHE LOST ALL 4 OF HER KIDS WHEN WE WERE JUST BABIES. WEVE TRIED TO HELP HER GET HER INTO CLASSES. NOW THAT IM 19, I KNOW NOW THAT THE ONLY PERSON WHO CAN HELP MY MOM IS HER SELF......EVEN THOUGH WE CANT STAND HOW THEY ARE TREATING THEMSELVES AND EVERY1 AROUND THEM...I HAVE A FEELING IF MY MOM DONT QUIT SOON.....HER CHANCES AT LIFE WILL BE OVER.
Unfortunately,alcoholic family members are the hardest thing in life to deal with sometimes.Especially after they have lost someone they love.But you can not let your children(if you have any)be around someone when they are drunk.In the same aspect,you have to maintain your own sanity.Simply put it to him in no uncertain terms,that if he is drunk,he can not be around you.It is hard,and I had to do it with my own dad,but explain to him how it hurts you to see him that way.Suggest to him that you go through treatment together.After all,it is his problem,but he has put you in the middle of it.The thought of getting better but not being alone sometimes is all the incentive a loved one needs to get started.If they have the choice of being alone,or getting well with their family at their side,they can see the possibility of a positive.
I wouldn't allow him around me and my family. He has problems that only he can fix.
Alcoholics don't think that they have a serious problem that is why he won't get it through his head. He needs help and you have to help him recover from alcohol. By doing that you will need help from aunts and uncles and friends that care for him and you trust. Here is some more help from Y/A friends just click the link below god bless and good luck!



http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;
I think that matter what you do he will not realize his faults until he himself realizes that he has a problem. The more you argue, yell, fight. etc. your just pushing him more to it.

I agree that you guys should get his whole family involved maybe that will be a rude awaking for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment