Monday, December 12, 2011

My dad is an alcoholic, how do I deal with him?

Im 22 years old and my Dad has been an alcoholic for as long as I can remember, I am very close to him and visit him often but I always have to bring him a beer when I show up or he will make me go to the store as soon as I show up. He doesn't drive and is a prisoner of his home because he is always messed up. I know he isn't going to change because he gave up his family and his job and everything for it, but all I want to do is visit without having to always be his ride numerous times to the store and spend money everytime just to see him. And he only calls when he wants something or he needs me to do things and I feel obligated! When I tell him NO I feel like a ***** but I feel like when he looks at me he just sees beer, cigarettes, a ride, money etc. Other than having to get him beer and cigs, I have to always be one to do the right thing for him when there are things he needs to get done, but sh!t he's an adult too! Me and my husband (we have our 1st baby on the way) are always drained of money and we financially can't do it anymore. There are a bunch of other problems we have with him, but I love him very much and I'll only ask one question at time so this doesn't turn into a novel. How can I change this?My dad is an alcoholic, how do I deal with him?
i feel for you but you are enabling him to continue his problematic life style. it sounds like tough love. you need to stop the routine and let him know why . i suggest that you gather as much information in his area on AA and other associated drug rehab groups and their times . he may not go but at least you will have tried . i think you need to start thinking about your own family now and like it or not your father and his behavior can cause problems for your own marriage so i would be careful not too allow your father to damage your relationship with your husband by your trying to meet your fathers wants but not neccesarily his needsMy dad is an alcoholic, how do I deal with him?
Intervention. Rehab. Its really the only way you can help him. He isn't your burden. He is an adult who can make his own decisions.
if i were you i would cut him out of your life , at least until he gets his act together. you dont want to have someone in your life always just wanting to hang out with you so they can get alcohol money or cigs. if you have a baby on the way, you dont want that baby to know their grandpa as an alocholic. it might be best for the baby to not know your father until he is healthy, smart, in the right mind, and not an alcoholic. it'd be the best for your whole family. just tell your father that you want him to get better and until then you wont be seeing or hearing of him. its the best for everyone including him.



but then again im only a 18 year old what do i know?
just tell them

No comments:

Post a Comment