Monday, December 12, 2011

How to deal with having alcoholic parents as a 19 year old?

Within the past two years, my parents have taken up drinking. It has progressivly gotten worse. My father has started to drink liquor which is a real problem. He is a ';recovering'; alcoholic from liquor. My mother has been out drinking Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday night. Im the only child still living at home. The house is disqusting and needs to be cleaned (dishes, laundry...). I feel obligated to do all of the housechores and to feel the animals. Im a full time student and I work part time. I dont have much free time and bairly get to talk to my parents. When my parents are home they create a negative environment and do not talk to me very much. In a way I feel like I have too much responsibility and stress at my house and need a solution to help ease the stress to help me with the unfortunate situation. I really want to just move out but I cant afford to pay for college and rent. Any Ideas on how to cope with a similar situation?How to deal with having alcoholic parents as a 19 year old?
My heart goes out to you as I lived in this environment to as a child. I, like you, had to cope..I had no way out. I know this will sound kind of kooky...but I actually think that it was my not so perfect life that made me as strong as I am. I am very strong and can handle a lot. I have some friends that lived the fairytale life and their coping skills are pathetic. You sound as stuck as I was...but if you have any other family around, such as grandparents or aunts and uncles or older siblings...maybe you could make arrangements to stay with them for a while. I am sure they know your life is in a sad state of affairs. Just ask...all they can say is NO...and I know that isn't a word that you have never heard before. Good luck to you sweetie. My heart goes out to you.How to deal with having alcoholic parents as a 19 year old?
It is good that you see what they are doing as wrong. Being a collage student it is stressful enough without added responsibility. Currently by taking on all the responsibility you are ENABALING your parents. My advice is that you move out. Move in with another family member, like an aunt or grandparent (mabey one that can talk sence into your parents). If that is not an option you can take out a student loan from your school to cover living expenses to live on your own. You need to get out of that situation. I moved out when I was 18, my mom was an alcoholic and my brother used drugs. It was very hard, and although I am 23 now I am still very resentful of my mom. I have finished collage and now work as an RN. What I am saying is, DONT LET THEM DRAG YOU DOWN WITH THEM! You cannot help them, they need to help themselves. Good luck. I know you can get past this. Learn from it and move on.
Move out and get yourself into an al-anon meeting it will help you out in the long run. If you don't get help for yourself it will effect you for a long time. Believe me I know. After many years of doing what you have done and putting my life on hold for their addiction it has hurt me unbelievable. I often wish I would have done that same thing when I was your age, get to a meeting. They do help and they also will help you from not falling into the same pattern as they are in.

Move in with family members talk to the college you are attending they might also be able to help you out some how.
I feel so sorry for you, wish I could come with a solution to you're problem but to have parents with alcoholic problems is usually not a happy ending story.

My best friend have the same problem as you, and she tried to talk to her parent about it and told them that they are having a bad effect on her life and she also cant concentrate at school because she feels scared of what she will meet when she come home.

Sometimes her parents fights with one other when they are drunk so she always feel unsecured and her grades at school just keeps on falling.

My advise for you is to really tell you're parents( when they are sober) that you really need them as parents and that you feel like this situation is to heavy for you to cope with.

Tell them that you love them and tell them that you miss the parents you had before they started to have a alcohol problem. If this dosent help,

you said that you are the only child left living at home so I guess you have a big sister or brother, talk to them and tell them that things getting worse at home and tell them that you have a hard time dealing with it.

Maybe they can help you, maybe you can ask to stay with them until you are finish with school and finding yourself a job.

If you're parents are paying for you're education just tell them that if they don't stop drinking its better for you to live with some ralatives and that if they love you they can at least pay for you're school even if you are not living at home.

And if you move out from the house you will have time to get a job after school, maybe 2-3 times at week so you can pay for food and so on if you find some relatives you can stay with.

God luck to you I rally wish that everything will work out fine.
just run away

No comments:

Post a Comment