Monday, December 12, 2011

Is my friend an alcoholic? How do I tell her I don't want to deal with her binge drinking anymore?

My friend and I met about 6 months ago and she and I seemed to have a lot in common. Our husbands are Marines and work together, and we all get together. When our husbands have to go on missions or operations we often get together to pass the time. It's nice because I don't have many friends here. But, I have a problem with her. Every single time I have gone out with her (whether with our husbands, or just alone with her) she begins drinking and will not stop at just 2 or 3. When her husband is with us, it's annoying, but not as big of a deal, because he takes care of her. But, if it's just me and her, I have to ';babysit'; her. People often look at her because she becomes so out of control, and of course I have to watch out for her. I will only have a couple of beers and stop if I see her begin to order shots or her drinking picks up. This weekend, the cops wanted to arrest her for being drunk in public! I sorted everything out with them and saved her from that humiliation and having to explain it to her husband. I want to help and I don't know if this qualifies her as an alcoholic, but I'm tired of dealing with her acting like this. She loses all control and often blacks out. She falls down, trips, slurs, approaches strangers, you get it... She will even become slightly belligerent. My issue is that our husbands work together and I don't want to put any more stress on my husband's already very high stress job. Does anyone have any ideas or advice? And is she an alcoholic? She has a job and doesn't miss it for drinking, but she only drinks one brand of beer and one type of liquor for shots. She also drinks alone when her husband is not there. Please, any help would be appreciated.Is my friend an alcoholic? How do I tell her I don't want to deal with her binge drinking anymore?
That's awful... you're a good friend. It's too bad that sometimes people just don't see you till they lose you. The best advice I can give you, though it may be hard (yes that's most definitely alcoholic right there) is to let her have the natural consequences of her behavior. It's harsh, but honestly, she's an adult, and it's NOT your job to clean up after her irresponsible behavior. She should know what an okay amount to drink is, and if she really wants to get stoned, she should have the guts to do it at her house, where she's less likely to get in trouble. It may be unpleasant for you to see, but she needs to grow up and learn a little self control. Trust me hon, I've been there. I'm not married to a marine or anything, but I've had a friend like that before and it'll only get worse unless you let them have their own consequences. Really, otherwise they'll never learn to change. Sometimes it takes being knocked on flat on your butt to find out that something need to change and you need to take charge of your life. Seriously, she can find better things to do with her time, if all of it is spent waiting, like taking up a sport, or hobby, or going back to school even. The options and possibilities are endless. With people like that, you can't just tell them to stop-- they can't control themselves because most of the time they've never learned how. So the best you can do for your friend is to let her learn how to. I'm sorry there's not more you can do. I know it feels terrible and awful to let a friend do something like that, esp. when you feel their pain and heartache but if you really care, let her learn. I wish you and your friend the best!Is my friend an alcoholic? How do I tell her I don't want to deal with her binge drinking anymore?
I know this sounds kind of simple, but you should talk to her first, she may talk back to you, and tell you what's going on. Maybe it runs in her family or something, or maybe she just likes to drink.. i think you should talk to her, and if she doesn't listen, talk to your husband and ask what he thinks, he knows her husband, so maybe he might be able to help a little bit.
She's an alcoholic. Blackouts alone qualify her. I don't think it's healthy for you to start becoming her guardian. You may have to tell her that it upsets you, you can't deal with it, and you cannot be around her when she's drinking. She may not like it, but your life comes before hers. You can urge her to go to an AA meeting, because I think that's where she'll get help.

No comments:

Post a Comment