Monday, December 12, 2011

Who knows an alcoholic and know how to deal with it?

(please note, i am not, but i have other objectional failings, certain). just a bit curious because an inlaw - far away - has that problem.Who knows an alcoholic and know how to deal with it?
I know of 2 ( the third, mother of a close friend just died from it) there is nothing you can do really. One I know is post traumatic and been that way for years, sometimes he talks and I can see why he's traumatized- he was in some bad ****. You just have to know when to leave I suppose.Who knows an alcoholic and know how to deal with it?
Ever hear that song ';I don't wanna go to rehab, I say no, no, no.'; The best thing to do is to get them into a rehab and then on to AA. Sober 25 years here that way. Good luck.
Impossible to say, as the very definition is faulty... If someone you care about is in your mind 'alcholoholic' then you state it to them as gently as you can, and hope for a positive response in time - if you get a positive then you are doing well, if not then wait - simple, not easy.
Alcoholism is a disease....one cannot cure it.. the only thing that can be done is control it... but that's not your job, and you won't be able to help him... that's something that has to come from the person with the problem.
Well, I'll tell you. My dad is a drinker. When he drinks he says mean things. Never violent, just mean with his words. Usually I just leave. I have even told him that I won't be around when he drinks. I say that this family member you know needs to do one thing. Leave, because this person will not stop drinking unless they want too. My father told me flat out, no one is going to tell him when he can and can't drink or how much. He got a DUI I told him until he got his license back he couldn't pick up my kids, and if he drank he couldn't have them. Because I told him, there is no way he would like to be on the side of the freeway with my daughter in the backseat and him in handcuffs. He agreed, besides that I work in law enforcement as well as my sister. This person you know just needs to leave.
Let the person go. Unless you are willing to sit in with an intervention, leave that person alone. That is where the people closest to that person all describe their experiences and feelings toward that person's addiction. Not the person, the addiction.



Alcoholics Anonymous helps alcoholics, but no one goes there the first time very willingly. If you want some more understanding, go to an open AA meeting. Anyone can attend an open meeting. Be on time and listen to everything very carefully.



Alcoholics in recovery often talk about ';hitting bottom.'; A problem drinker MUST experience the consequences of his/her drinking before being willing to change. Most forms of ';help'; given by family members are manipulated by the drinker to continue the addiction. That is called ';enabling.'; It's not the fault of the family member - that's just how the alcoholic family system works. The only people who can really help your in-law are qualified professional or an alcoholic with lengthy sobriety who knows what he/she is doing.



If your in-law enters treatment, don't expect miracles, either. Most serious drinkers require between 3 and 5 rehab experiences before they make a real commitment.



Your curiosity shows you to be very humane and caring. Be willing to support your spouse in whatever the rest of the family decides. You may well touch people's lives in a very positive way.
Oh, i thought an alcoholic that can't be that bad, then i got involved with one and married him. They are the worse people on earth, only think of theirfselves and blame everyone else but theirselves and everyone else causes their problems. So i learned and i learned fast, stay away from an alcoholic, it'll be the worst experience you've every had and you cannot help them, as they don't need any help, believe me just ask them, your the one that needs helps they say.
I married a nice man who happened to have a drinking problem. For years I tried to make things work...until I was so stressed out I ended in the hospital.



I then had to make the decision: continue in an unhealthy and miserable marriage- or call it quits and concentrate on myself, on getting better and on taking care of my child.



I have been divorced for some years now, and my only regret is I didn't do it sooner. He still drinks- and has no intention of getting help. (You cannot make anyone quit drinking- they have to accept they have a serious problem and want to look for help.)
I have been with an alcoholic for 12 years and it has absolutely ruined my life. He is a functioning alcoholic-works everyday buts spends most of his money on beer. He's been to rehab 3 times. He has verbally and emotionally abused me everyday of my life for 12 years. You can not change them and will waste valuable time trying. I am moving on but have been greatly affected by this and will be scarred forever. All I can really say is you can't ';deal'; with an alcoholic without it affecting you in a negative way. Just stay out of it and away from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment