Sunday, November 21, 2010

Dealing with an alcoholic mother?

I'm 15 and my mom has been an alcoholic for 3 years now, my parents are split so thankfully I have an escape. Although, the probelm is...how am I supposed to help her? No one can stand to be around her ! She's like an annoying drunk and her mood swings are terrible. It's really hard because she's such a great person when she's not drinking, I mean I'm seriously worried for her she drinks more than 30 beers a day, wine, and ALOT of pills. No one can seem to help her, when I even mention the probelm she blames everything on me saying that its my fault and no one understands how much she has to go though, then other times she says she undestands that she has a probelm and the next day shes going to AA meetings...although she said that she had to drink all she could that night before she had to stop drinking. She had been really sick but continued to drink but then she got in a deadly car accident and realized that she had to quite drinking and fix her life, although two months later she began drinking again. And she locks herself in her room all day and night. I do not know what to do to help her, shes promised me so many times that she would quite but the next day I'll see her passed out on the floor. I think soon she's going to get really sick, but I have no way of helping her she doesn't understand the words i'm saying. And I just want to know if anyone has ever gone though this also, and did you also feel as though it's really unfair how your supposed to guide your parent, or not have that one parent their to guide you, or just you had no idea which direction you wanted to take because you felt so lost?Dealing with an alcoholic mother?
Relax sweety, there really is not much you can do. She will have to clean up since she is an addict ; she needs to be forcefully dried out, because her promises are many and mean nothing. Can you confide in a counselor at school? Tell them the whole truth and don't clean up the details. You have your own problems with growing up ; it is not your obligation to make mom grow up too! It is pretty clear that if nothing else, she may be in a fatal driving accident...may even hurt someone else too!Dealing with an alcoholic mother?
You can try going to the guidance counselor in your school or social worker. You need someone to guide you through this ordeal. I grew up with a brother 20 years my senior who is an alcoholic. It can be very exhausting. I dont know what city you are in, but you can also google a million resources that can help you on the internet that are available in your town. Try alcoholics anonymous. They can refer you to a center near you. Do you have any relatives that you can stay with? Many blessings
Live with your Dad or Grandma and go to Al-non for family of alcoholic meetings to learn how to deal with her. Tell Dad %26amp; Grandma what is going on and get away. Never get in the car with her when she's drinking.



You cannot help her. She must chose to help herself.



She is a grownup chosing this life-style and it is not your fault no matter what she says.



If Dad %26amp; Grandma do not help you, tell your school counselor.
Yes, sweetheart, so many people have gone through this. You aren't alone. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can only control your own actions and not your mom's. She has to go to AA on her own and dedicate herself to it. You could work with her other loved ones to stage an intervention, but ultimately, her cooperation is still required. You can, however, join suport groups for loved ones of alcoholics. If you need referrals, please email me. I can get you to local agencies that can help you

No comments:

Post a Comment