Sunday, November 21, 2010

Ways to deal with an alcoholic father?

I have known my dad as a drunk all my life. He works nights so he drinks when he's not working which is when i say him so it's awful. He is always picking fights, acting irrational, and stupid. He disrespects my mom and me and my brother. Sometimes he even threatens to kill himself. When i was about 3 years younger i would cry over these fights and hug my dad and mom to tell them to stop. Now i got mad at him and only him. Im to the point that i don't even flinch when he says all these things about hurting himself or leaving or getting a divorce. I really want my parents to get a divorce but my mom never does and i don't know how she puts up with his crap. I have given up on my dad because even when he's sober he changes the subject about his drinking and he has already told us that he loves it. He won't go to any meetings and drinks a whole big bottle a day (from what i know). He mostly drinks vodka with orange juice (which sucks because my brother is diabetic so if he goes low he needs that orange juice) or beer during football games. I want my dad to be sober for the rest of my childhood because i really don't want to resent him. Well, my question is do you think there is anyway i can knock sense into my dad? Such as writing him something, talking to him hen he's sober, threatening to run away, etc. Also, if you went through the same situation or a similar one can you please tell me how you manage or how you solved the problem? I'm on the edge of my breaking point. Thank you so much for all the answers in advance!Ways to deal with an alcoholic father?
my dad is an alcoholic too, but my parents are divorced. my dad gets the same way as your dad at he tells me that he hates me and wants me to go to hell so believe me, i know exactly how you feel. your dad most likely wont change i know that this hard to hear but it is something that you just have to face. what you do need to do is try to convince your mom to divorce him. tell her how you feel, and how much this is hurting you. and then you will have a way out from your dad.Ways to deal with an alcoholic father?
Sara, my heart goes out to you. What you face is very difficult, but you sound strong. You are probably the one in your family who keeps things together. Try joining Alateen for support and information.
It sounds like ';knocking sense into him'; is not an option, and that your Mom is what's called an enabler. You need to seek help from an outside source, maybe from family that does not live with you, and have an intervention. Maybe even look up the show Intervention and write to them about it. I feel for you, my next door neighbor is a drunk with 2 young kids. He's a single Dad and they don't have a great life. Lots of luck. You are taking the right first step by reaching out for advise.
i am sorry that you are going through this with ur dad. i say try to talk to him when he is sober and see how that works. or better yet let him read this post and the answers on here. talk to ur mother to see what she feels needs to be done. letting young kids go through this is not healthy, for them to see or hear. when i was younger my mother dated a guy who was an alcoholic and i can remember the fights, all the yelling and screaming that went on. and one thing that helped me are my friends someone to talk to when i felt sad. and my brother and i always remained close to each other. talking about how it was going to get better. and after a while it did. my mother gained her strength and left him. and maybe you mother needs to do the same if she wants her kids to be happy adult and excel in school and life. she has to want better for her family and realize that being with someone who does not realize they have a problem is only going to make her and your life hell. let your mother read this as well, they both need some sense knocked into them. you sound very intelligent and smart. Good luck with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment