Sunday, November 21, 2010

How to deal with an alcoholic that only wants to drink on Saturday nights?

My husband quit drinking for 9 years and started drinking again last year, just on Fri. and Sat. nights. However, we've had problems again now that he has started back drinking and I am putting my foot down and want him to stop drinking altogether again. He's gotten into trouble in the past when he drank and don't want to re-live that again. I've put up with a lot from him when he drank but don't want to go into details.I never wanted him to go back to drinking to begin with but he told me he has matured and would be more responsible so I gave in. Now he is asking to just drink on Saturday nights. I hate it when he drinks. He doesn't stop until the 12 pack of beer is gone or until he's drunk, whichever comes first. It just makes me feel miserable. In turn he is miserable because I don't want him to drink period and don't want to give in this time. Am I wrong for feeling like that?How to deal with an alcoholic that only wants to drink on Saturday nights?
tell themHow to deal with an alcoholic that only wants to drink on Saturday nights?
I divorced my alcoholic X-wife. Told her to stay slobber for 5 years and then we'll see. By then I expect to have moved on. Hope she doesn't think I'll still be waiting.
yes
You are not wrong for feeling that way. He does have a problem and if he didn't, he wouldn't be miserable without it. If it's causing problems with your relationship and he's doing awful things, you have every right to give him an ultimatum.
He is drinking more than just Saturday nights and you both know better. Tell him it is either the booze or the marriage. he can't have both! Good luck because you will need it. Call your local AA hotline and ask about Al-anon near you. You will have to give him an ultimatum because life is too short to deal with his selfish BS! If he wont get help it is over because he will never be able to drink normal. He is delusional and sick!
Alcoholics don't just drink a six pack, they drink 24/24 at times....if he has admitted he is an alcoholic, then he should never drink again, but relapsing is very common. This isn't about him, it is about you. If you don't want to repeat the past, then move on. Life your life.
I'm a recovering alcoholic of 19+ yrs. IF I picked up a drink tonite, I would be rite back to where I was so many yrs. ago. It's a compulsion that if you take just one drink it sets off a compulsion in your system that you cannot turn a switch %26amp; stop again unless you really do want to. In AA we had a saying, ';one is too many, 100 is not enuf';. How true. Alcoholism is a cunning, compulsive, addictive killer disease. IF you keep drinking, it WILL kill you in one way or another, hopefully not taking anyone else along w/you. IF he went thru AA to stop drinking %26amp; knows the program, he knows just what he's gotten himself into. My ex husband also was/is an alcoholic, so I went to both AA %26amp; Alanon for 25 yrs. I've said so often, AA saved my life, Alanon saved my sanity. He KNOWS he cannot just have a drink on wk. end %26amp; has not started that ';compulsion'; back again %26amp; w/be rite back to where he was in no time at all. I've seen it so many times in mts. I've seen people at a mtg. one wk. having problems quitting, %26amp; the next wk. not there at the same mtg. because they died that very week between mtgs.!!! I WILL ans. any post on drinking. Someone was there for me, I can be there for someone else. We have to ';give it away'; in order to keep it as it keeps us thinking of where we were, where we now are. I %26amp; my alcoholic husbands ruined 3 marriages %26amp; I hurt my 3 children from my drinking. I paid dearly for all the things I did when I drank %26amp; it was my daughter who finally got to my guilt this last time that made me KNOW I had to quit. The excuse of being ';mature'; was nothing but his alcoholism talking! You're either an alcoholic or you're not. You're either pregnant or you're not so to speak. So if you're not a ';social drinker'; who can have one drink or 1/2 drink every now %26amp; again, you're an alcoholic who cannot put it down until it's gone or you've passed over that line of just plain had too much. God forbid you throw 1/2 bottle or can out! No, you either drink it or ';save'; it for later. A ';social drinker'; w/just pour it out %26amp; not think another thing about it. I use to put mine in the fridge for the next day as I KNEW I would need a drink the next day to ';quell'; the hangover I had, then to find I've started again that day %26amp; on %26amp; on it just goes! Alcohol IS a drug just like any other drug. Unfortunately, it's a legal drug. Oh how I wish it wasn't legal as the damage it does to families, loved ones, children, broken homes, accidents, people hurt or killed from it. If you have not gone to Alanon, I so strongly urge you to just go to a few mtgs. %26amp; just listen. I KNOW you w/hear your story be told by someone. They are the best bunch of folks you could hope to meet %26amp; would help you in any way possible if you wanted them to. They've walked in your shoes, know just what you're going thru. Call the 800# for alcohol in the yellow pages %26amp; I honestly strongly suggest you ask for the next closest mtg. to you %26amp; GO. You w/NOT regret going, I guarantee it. They w/have the ans. to any question you may have, either ask during the mtg. or ask someone after the mtg. There are there to help you %26amp; I promise they WILL. I am so sorry to say your husband has picked up his first drink that is only going to lead him rite back to where he was when he quit. I KNOW because I had a couple ';slips'; in the beginning %26amp; God help me never to do it again. The anniversary of my drinking date means more to me than my B.D. does. My daughter sends me a card %26amp; gets me a ';token'; gift every yr. She wrote me a letter I w/always keep. Said she no longer was going to call me on the phone after a certain hr. of the day. She knew I was drunk %26amp; it hurt her too much to hear me talk drunk. That got to my guilt badly as I knew I was missing going places w/my grown kids, then was also starting to miss doing things w/my little granddaughters. I HAD to do something about it %26amp; used the tools I learned in AA to get sober %26amp; have stayed sober all these yrs. now. I NEVER think of drinking %26amp; happen to live w/an alcoholic I met when I was actively drinking. I use my Alanon ';tools'; to live w/it on a daily basis. I am so so sorry to say your husband is going to get rite back to where he was when he quit drinking 9 yrs. ago IF he doesn't STOP completely again. Some make it back to sobriety again, some are unfortunate %26amp; don't make it back! I would never want to take the chance of not making it back again. My kids are so happy to have their mother back again. I'm always here for them whenever they need me. I lost one of my 2 beautiful granddaughters recently in a car accident. It devastated me to see my son, D-I-L, %26amp; older granddaughter hurting so much. It hurt me as a mother not to be able to take away the hurt from them or from me. I never once even tho't of a drink. I was so happy I was there for her %26amp; shared in her 14 yrs. of her life from the delivery room to her going to see her hero on her My Space who was Jesus! We KNOW where she is, we KNOW we w/see her again. IF your husband doesn't quit NOW, my heart goes out to you both. Don't accept the unacceptable, say what you mean, mean what you say %26amp; DON'T back down....I DO wish you the best...:)
First is fri/sat then weds/thurs/fri/sat get it there it is no such a thing


as FORMER, find a way for him to stop, it wont be easy

No comments:

Post a Comment