Sunday, November 21, 2010

How to deal with an alcoholic mom?

I am 17 years old and my dad died a year ago, a month before my 16th birthday. My mom has been drinking for as long as I can remember, and before my dad's death, he and I worked on getting her to realize her problem. He even recorded a conversation on his computer that he had with her where she says that she will get help. But then he died and our financial situation and everything else changed. Now she drinks more than ever, falls asleep at her desk, wakes up, then falls asleep on the toilet. I try to help her by talking to her when she's sober but she just tells me I'm a b*tch who doesn't know anything and that I'm just mimicking my father. My older sister is in law school and keeps telling me that it is only a few months before I leave for college and that when I come home, I can just come to her house in South Florida instead of coming home to my mom. I know this is okay but I wanna help my mom. I really need help dealing with this - I'm too young to be a parent. Any suggestions?How to deal with an alcoholic mom?
Find an Ala-Teen chapter and get some advice.



Chances are, with you out of the picture, your mother will have to think a little. Alcohol is a depressant. She probably will not sober up until she hits rock bottom and is forced to look up.

Your only recourse is to proceed with living your own life as best you can... get your education and start your career.

See if you can attend college where your sister is, so you can stay with her. You need family support.How to deal with an alcoholic mom?
Don't call CPS! Out of the frying pan and into the fire!

Call a family member, one of her friends.

You can only help yourself you really can't help her. She has to want to change. I would say that she is suffering and is self medicating. Maybe you could ask her if she drinks because she is in pain.

I would guess that you are able to drive or get to where you need to go without having to get in the car with her. Whatever you do, do not get in the car with her.

Go to AA meetings and ask for support. Join a church and ask for support. Ask your Mom to go to church with you. She is the only one that can make a change and take responsibility for her alcholism.
It's a tough situation.... my dad was a drug addict for a long time!!. The only advice that I can give is to be there for you mom.. I know that it may be a lot to handle, but even though she may say hurtful thing she really needs you... and that's you mom! Don't get me wrong you need to live your life and as happily as you can but don't turn you back on her... ';the people who are the toughest to love are the ones who need it the most!';

I still love my dad and will always support him and be there for him no matter what.... I hope everything goes well for you!!!
Wow! I feel really bad for you. You must be going through a lot.



I would call Child Protective Services. They would force her to change her ways and if she still refuses they will take other actions. You may be taken away from her. Are there other family members you can live with until you leave for college?



I also want to say, don't pay ANY attention to what your mom tells you. She is not thinking straight and is saying things to push you away so that she can continue drinking.



Good Luck with this and college. I wish you the best.
Alonon .
Well i'm 14 and i've had an alcoholic mom since I was two. Your older than me and this might not help so sorry. That ''childern youth'' crap and stuff doesn't work or not for me anyways. I woulds just confront her and firmly ask what is her reason for drink. Maybe you should tell her how much it really hurts you that she calls you a b****h and things like that. Maybe she will realize that shes hurting you and will try to help herself. Your sister has probely already given up on her and thats why she doesn't want you go home. but that doesn't mean you have to give up on her. Try to find out her reason for drinking (besides her dad's death) and help her copp with her problems. You should go to a school near or at your sister's school so you both can have one anothers suport. Maybe try to talk her into going to a suport meeting and talking about how she feels and why she is drinking. Or have a ermm ...''intervention'' with your sister and her and tell her that you really do care about her and that you want to help her. Hiding her beer ect. isn't going to help because she can just go my more. Its like she a kid and she drew on the walk for the first time she doesn't know why its wrong. I hope that helped.
if your mum loves u tell her to stop or you will leave and never talk 2 her
I'm sorry about your loss. First, don't make her feel like you wanna control her and boss her around. She's not gonna listen that way. She's drinking her problems away. Typical teenager behavior. It's really a problem when the parent is doing it. Try to tell her that it has been really tough on both of you guys. But now both have to try to support each other to keep going forward. Write her a letter telling her how you feel, how much you love her, how it hurts you to see her like this, and how much of a great person she is. Giving her motivation could get her out of that hole she's in.

When she's calm and in a good mood you could have a daughter-to-mom conversation and ask her why she drinks? Why is she unhappy?
When she's passed out, swap her booze for water or some other non-alcoholic drink. If she notices, confront her and tell her it's time to stop.
Since you are under 18, call Child Protective Services to put a stop to her.
This is a very heavy burden for anyone, and especially for someone who is only 17. I know this causes you a lot of pain and concern, but you cannot help an alcoholic unless they recognize that they need help and want help. Maybe you should talk to some of your closest family members and hold a family intervention. If you do not know what that is it means that a group of you get together and tell your mother that you all love her but she is an alcoholic and needs help. You tell her that she is ruining not only her life but yours as well. If she refuses to get help then you should take your sisters advice. Go to college and move in with your sister. I am really sorry that this hurts you. You are a great and loving daughter. Just know that when your mom calls you names it is the alcohol talking and she doesn't really mean it. She is ill.
  • phone
  • real triumph for a human
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment