Friday, November 19, 2010

How do I deal with an alcoholic live-in boyfriend?

We just moved in together two months ago, from being together for 4 years, and he had a drinking problem before we lived together, so I already knew it was an issue going in but he had promised me that things would change and get better once we lived together, that he just needed to get away from his ';bachelor pad';. well I wanted to believe him and have faith in him, and well things have not changed, they seem to get better, then he falls back down again. He refuses to get counseling or anything in that nature, he says he knows he has a problem, and all he ever says is he's sorry, but then it happens again. or he will get defensive and try make it look like I am the one with the problem, like he is just a 40 year old man trying to have a good time like he is 25 years old. And I have noticed that when I have gotten angry with him, sometimes he rebels and does it more. Or when I act like it doesn't bother me, he will do it in front of me, trying to get a reaction out of me.How do I deal with an alcoholic live-in boyfriend?
Leave him. Find someone who doesn't have that kind of problem. You need someone who will take care of you, not someone who wastes his time and money drinking his life away. And if he begs for you to stay, just remember how many chances you've already given him. Remember how he said that he would change, and he never did. If he hasn't changed yet, the chances are very low that he will ever change. I'm not saying it's not possible; it's just highly unlikelyHow do I deal with an alcoholic live-in boyfriend?
He sounds like he knows he has the problem but is acting very immature about it. I'm not sure how he would take it if you got a bunch of friends and family together one day to try some sort of intervention and you could all talk to him together to show concern and offer your support but it might be worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment