Friday, November 19, 2010

How do I deal with an alcoholic landlord?

When work wasn't working out in my very small new england hometown with virtually no businesses, I decided to move 3,000 miles away to California where my wife and I could utilize our college degrees to get good paying work. While right after we got here the economy went down the tubes. We stayed in our camper for 6 months... A hellish 6 months... After applying for jobs all-day, every-day my wife eventually landed a decent job. Not ';high paying'; for the area, but adequate to pay for our lot rent. Well we were introduced to this guy who needed some help done around his house.



We were thrilled when a few months later he called us and asked if we wanted to stay in his ';granny unit'; which was actually a pretty big house, for about 3/4 of the going rate, but most importantly, no security deposit required, and no last months rent required. We happily moved in and have been living here for the last 6 months. We have never been so much as a day late with the rent, in fact he frequently comes over and demands it, days early.



Well, come to find out this guy is a raging alcoholic. He constantly shuts off the wireless internet just to piss us off. He likes to lie and blame it on the cable company, but I'm a techie and can see that he is unplugging the power to his router!! That is just the tip of the iceberg. If I don't help him immediately when he asks, he gets mad, and will send me e-mails telling me he's going to kick me out, and how ';useless'; I am. I always helps him when he asks me, and even times when he doesn't. I brought him Thanks Giving dinner the other day without so much as a thank you. I constantly have to help him with his computer. He has pissed off all his other friends and family, and I'm really all he has besides his book keeper... His son recently told me he's done this to about 8 people in the last few years, including threatening to kill his son... If I try to ';stay away'; from him, this pisses him off even more... I'd love to just move to another place, but i don't have the money for security deposit, and first and last months rent, and most importantly, my credit sucks... I'm so depressed and feel stuck here.. I believe him to be schizophrenic as well.. Any advice is appreciated.How do I deal with an alcoholic landlord?
Save money for your security deposit and move out. You can't change/help him nor is it your responsibility to change/help him.How do I deal with an alcoholic landlord?
sue him for breach of contract, fraud and anything else you can think of.



keep records of all he has done.



HE can be stopped by a judge.!! when you win, you get 3x in damages for his harassment.



in the mean time, you say you need first and last mo; not at too many apts.

first and cleaning and security.



email me asap; I was born and raised in CA. I am betting I can get you into a house

of your own even with your credit.......as a gift of my time

No comments:

Post a Comment