Friday, November 19, 2010

How do you deal with an alcoholic family member?

my husband's sister is married to an alcoholic. (he drinks daily and often to the point of slurring, picking fights and passing out.) i fear for the safety of her and her kids and yet he has isolated her to the point that no one in the family gets time to talk with her in private. she has expressed a desire to divorce him, but seems afraid of what he will do. he has a very dangerous temper. she has been through one divorce with a similar man and is still suffering the results of that because she shares custody of two children with him. what should we do? what should she do?How do you deal with an alcoholic family member?
There isn't much you can do, unfortunately. Nothing you do or say can influence your brother-in-law's behavior.



You can reach out to your sister-in-law, and let her know that help is available for her if she chooses to get it. You could offer to go to Al-Anon with her.



Good luck, and God bless.How do you deal with an alcoholic family member?
she needs help, and it sounds like she has

some people to lean on!!



Talk to her, let her know that you will

do anything you can for her to leave

the volatile situation!!
unless she wants to stop you wont change her so just sort out the kids with social services
I to was married to an alcoholic for 18 years and had two children. He was very abusive verbally and mentally to me and my children. He was also very controlling I was also afraid to leave him because of his threats. . But it got to a point I was more afraid to stay with him . I went to Al Anon. It was very helpful to me and gave me the strength and courage to stand up to him finally and get a divorce. It was the best thing I could have done and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. It unfortunately affected the children more then I knew. She should have a fear of him to the point of getting herself and the children out of harms way. He will not get any better and she can't make him or help him to. If she has someone in the family that will help her and support her through this she can make it. But you have to be aware that he may try to get back at her and whoever helps. Be strong for her and the children. They deserve so much better. I was lucky in that although my ex threatened me also nothing became of it. My heart goes out to all of them and I wish them the best of luck. I did meet a great man a few years later and I have been happily married for 21 years. There is life after divorce even with children.

No comments:

Post a Comment