Friday, November 19, 2010

How do you deal with an alcoholic mom?

My mom is an alcoholic. She drinks about 1-2 bottles of wine per day. She actually starts drinking from the moment she wakes up until about 8 pm when she usually crashes until noon the next day and repeats this. She cusses me out and my dad constantly and when we confronted her about the idea she started threatning my dad that she'll hurt him and that he's the reason she drinks. My dad is litterally like a servant to her, he does everything for her and he's very kind. Were just going through some money trouble...which I don't understand because my dad makes a middle class average salary. Enough to get us through a month, but with how much she's spending on wine/ciggerates and poor decisions such as going out to really expensive restaurants or getting her hair done for about 300 dollars it's no wonder were having problems. My dad hasn't actually gotten new clothes for himself in almost a year just so he can make my mom happy, so how is my mom so mad with him and blames him for everything? No matter how many times we try to stop her from drinking she yells at us/threatens us/ and starts screaming at my dad how he's the reason she's miserable because my dad isn't making enough money for her to be happy.



How can I get my mom to stop? She is really crazy. She's latley been making like humming noises which are really strange after she drinks. And she keeps making wincing faces as if shes irritated about something. Can this be from drinking?How do you deal with an alcoholic mom?
Pour yourself a drink and ignore it.



Just kidding...don't drink! There isn't much you can do about your moms drinking or your dad not being able to stand up against her but you can change the way you deal with the fighting and drunk mom. Next time mom opens a bottle tell her that you need a 10 minute warning before the drinking begins because you can't handle the fighting or drinking. It's causing stress on you and is making you ill and you will be going to a friends house, taking a walk or locking yourself in your room until a sober mom reappears. Don't be angry or upset when asking for the warning just say it very matter of factly. ';Mom, you didn't give me the 10 minute warning'; Every time you see your mom with a drink remind her about the 10 minute warning then go into your room and don't come out til morning or stay with a friend.



One of the reasons your mom continutes to drink is because she hasn't seen any affect on those around her because dad always takes care of her and cleans up her mess.How do you deal with an alcoholic mom?
move out
Alright, I know this won't be easy to hear but I slick know all of this from personal experience. I am 18 right now and I grew up in a house like that except for it was my dad that was the alcoholic. He got disable when I was 3 and started drinking and got addicted to his pain medicine. Which that eventually led to his death. He died from a brain anuerism 2 weeks before my 17th birthday. The brain anuerism was caused because of the alcohol and drugs. You should try sitting down with your mom and telling her how much you love her and you want her to live to be able to see your potential children in the future. They are going to need a grandmother, and you would love for her to be there for them. I know this doesn't help much.. But maybe a little..?
I think you should put her on intervention show. Also i had an alcohlic mom and she did drugs also but noow she is in prision. So try your best to convince your dad to get your mom on the intervention show.
You cannot get your mom to stop drinking. She is the only one that can stop her from drinking and if she chooses not to the only real option is for your father to give her an ultimatum to QUIT or GET OUT; but he has to stand behind this and not waver no matter what BS she tries to pull with him.



The reason your mom drinks is because your mom is unhappy with herself. Your father is not to blame but most importantly YOU are not to blame. The alcoholic typically is a sad pathetic person that tries to make everyone around them feel as crappy and miserable as they feel about themselves.
First you can't get your mother to stop drinking unless she decides that it time to quit. Your father has to take more forceful role with your mother. What is need is a family intervention; you, your dad, siblings, your mother's brothers and sisters, her mother and father. In the intervention when she is sober each of you has to tell her that you love her but her drinking is driving each of you away from her and something has to be done. A%26amp;E network on cable has a good program called Intervention dealing with confronting alcoholics and drug addicts. Watch it and it will give you an idea what to do. She needs help and needs treatment. I speak from personal experience in dealing with alcohol. I used to drink a case of beer a day. You and your father should also attend an Alanon meeting in your area to understand better. Call you local alcoholics anonymous to get where meetings are held. If you want show this information to your father. You can email me if you want. Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment