Tuesday, November 16, 2010

What are some tips on how to deal with an angry alcoholic?

He wants to argue and physically fight. What are some ways to get him to cool it?What are some tips on how to deal with an angry alcoholic?
Well you can get him so drunk that he passes out! Other than that I don't know. I lived for a number of years with my mom who was an alcoholic and if I agreed with her she still wanted to fight, if I ignored her or whatever she just wanted to hit me. One day I fought back and let her know I would not take it anymore. I thought that would be the end of it. But then she still wanted to fight but I finally left home because i hated the anger and did not want to beat the crap out of a person who was so obviously f'd up. My prayers are with you. Peace%26amp;Love be with you...~M~What are some tips on how to deal with an angry alcoholic?
You can't. Alcohol is a stimulant in small doses and a depressant in large doses. It messes with emotions, so that anything they feel goes to an extreme. Until they sober up, it won't change. That's how alcohol works. Someone like him shouldn't be drinking much because it's obviously a bad thing. All you can do is avoid him when he is drinking, it won't stop otherwise and you'll just end up hurt.
Be compassionate and supportive. See things from their perspective, or at least pretend you see it their way when they're like that. Then, after they pass out, super-glue their butt cheeks together and strip a piece of duct tape over their eyebrows. Sober, embarrassed from the emergency room visit, and sans eyebrows, they'll come around.
Say, ';Uh-huh, uh-huh. You got a point.'; And leave as soon as possible.



I evaluate people for disability and social security benefits and some people have actually come who were either still alcoholics or inebriate at the evaluation. Some have become hostile and say they don't need to be evaluated, shouldn't be evaluated, etc. I tell them they can go; I am going to get paid anyway because they showed up, and I thank them for that. They ask, ';What will you say?'; ';That you left,'; I say. They ask, ';What will disability do?';

';I don't know, I just do an evaluation. In this case it will be short. I will say you left.';

Then they decide to stay, but usually they keep arguing after each question. I tell them after one or two, ';Look, you want to leave. If you argue over every question, this will take a really long time. If you want to leave soon, just answer the question as best you can.';

Usually they just answer the questions and rush out as soon as they can.

If you want an alcoholic to recluse himself, let him keep talking; a judge will see it for what it is.

If you want to protect yourself, escape. If you need to break away, just agree and let him talk and burn himself out, then go. Don't come back, or you will be giving credence to what he thinks. He will think that he can out-think you, and he has.

Also remember, alcohol is a mood enhancer. If you are happy, you will be happy, if you are sad, it will make you depressed. You can change an alcoholics mood sometimes by acting the opposite of what he is acting and suggesting he is doing it to you. In other words, he is joking when he is angry and by telling him he is controlling the situation, because he wants to feel in control. Doing this can be tricky, but it is possible.
Introduce him to:The Battle Royale , for angry alcoholic is very simple: whoever stands at the end wins the .physically fight, But do they really win,

No comments:

Post a Comment