Friday, November 19, 2010

How to deal with an alcoholic brother who's fixing to lose everything?

He's 56, been unemployed (by choice - he quit his last job over a year ago and did nothing to find work). He's an alcoholic. He's fixing to lose his house, his phone has been cut off, he has no money, he's pawned everything and is now calling me to help. He's made up a story that he's got lung cancer and he's dying to get sympathy. He's never gone to a doctor to get it confirmed yet used this excuse to sit around his house doing nothing. He still smokes and drinks. I was giving him a little bit of money for groceries but realized I'm just enabling him. I'm scared he's going to show up on my doorstep wanting to a place to stay. I'll have to turn him away because I cannot allow him to ruin me and my son's life. I've worked too hard for the things I have as a single widowed mother. I'm disgusted my brother has done nothing for himself and asks for my help. I can't bring myself to help him anymore. He has sat around doing nothing for himself over a year and now he's lost it all. He has no money to his name whatsoever. Anyone else dealt with an alcoholic family member this bad off?How to deal with an alcoholic brother who's fixing to lose everything?
You're doing exactly the right thing. I'll bet he has money for alcohol and cigarettes, but he asks you for groceries. Plenty of help is available to him when he decides to stop drinking. There are halfway houses where he can live.



DO NOT let him into your home. He will destroy it. His cancer story is just a ploy for sympathy. Good for you for being too smart to fall for it.How to deal with an alcoholic brother who's fixing to lose everything?
Kudos to you. Don't feel badly about it and don't do anything any differently than you already are. His demise is of his own doing.
let him self destruct! The world doesn't need anymore losers. Or may i suggest....Alcoholics Anonymous groups?
Get him to rehab and help him with support and love let him know you are there for him while he goes through treatment. If he refuses then you can't help someone who doesn't want to help themselves. I understand it's torturing you to see your brother go through this, but that is all the advice I can give you.
Ok, well, the first thing is where does he get all of those money for cigarettes and drinks? I think it's all from the money that you give him. Do not give him money!!! He just tells you he needs for food, but uses it for cigarettes and drinks. Just buy him all the food yourself, and other things he needs....I am sorry I can not help you with other things...I just hope everything else will be okay...
Yes, unfortunately, you will have to cut him off or he will drain you for everything you're worth, emotionally, financially and physically.



Addicts are master manipulators. Don't fall for it. Let him know that when he gets his life together, you will support him, until then, he must stay out of your life.
just let him get on with it my dad is an alcoholic and i hav let him get on with it and he choose the right dission himself and he went to a mentle hospital and stopped drink now he is disabled but tht is 4 another reason.so good luck.also try talkin 2 him 1st.

No comments:

Post a Comment