Sunday, November 21, 2010

How to deal with an alcoholic parent as a young adult?

I need help I am 19 years old and I have two sisters and two brothers all younger than me and my dad will not stop drinking I mean he drinks every other day before he would just drink in the weekends and now he even drinks in the week days am confused and I really need help with him this is harming the family so much my mom is going crazy with what my dad doing and so is the rest of the family.



My question is what can I do? I have tried everything I mean he will just not get it he will not even make and effort!!



I have been thinking about just moving out so I can get away from this but I know it檚 not the right thing to do! Has anyone here gone threw the same and have any advice for me??????????

ThanksHow to deal with an alcoholic parent as a young adult?
I'm 24 and went through, or should say still going through, the same situation. The difference is it was my mom. I studied hard through school, graduated from college. Not, to mention brain surgery to remove a tumor and got custody of my younger brother when I was 20. I know sounds like crap, but it really happened. Take charge of your life. Don't worry about his.How to deal with an alcoholic parent as a young adult?
Try Alanon/Alateen





http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/



Don't worry about getting help for him now-- until after you know more about your role in the family with regards to his problem. This will all be explained to you in the above website! Now get on with it!
Honey I had the same problem in my family. There is nothing you can do. Its his problem and he won`t solve it until he realizes it. I tried talking to him, being sad, angry.. I just realized that the only person who can help him its himself!! If he creates a real problem to the family and you all agree seek for family therapy. All the best sweety
i grew up with both my parents drinking we also tried everything to get them to stop but nothing worked.. my parents quit drinking when my dad lost his licenses to drinking and driving. ur dad might have to hit rock bottom before he realizes he has a problem...there are groups out there that will give u and your family some support they are called AL-ANON meetings and AL-A-TEEN meetings, just look for the AA number and they will get u in touch with AL- ANON %26amp; AL-A-TEEN. i know what u are going through just stay strong and be there for ur family!!! Good luck!!!
I would suggest that you find an Al-Anon meeting. It's a meeting for people who are friends and family of alcoholics. Try to get you mom involved, too. You can find face to face Al-Anon meeting (you'll have to search for the meeting lists either in the events section of your local paper or a school counselor could provide one for you or you can find them for your area online) but there are also online Al-Anon meeting too if you can't get out to a face to face meeting (which might be the case for your mom if she's caring for the house and all your siblings...)
Yes, hon, I grew up with alcoholic parents. From the earliest I can remember, they've always drank excessively, usually, on the weekends, but sometimes, it didn't take much for them.



I was 5 when I can remember their drinking and the impact it had on me and my 6 siblings. I was very protective of them, I would make sure they were in the basement with me, feeding them, making sure they were safe, especially since my mom liked to dance and argue.



It's their demon, sweetie, I was 25 when my father stopped for good and 33 when my mother finally stopped. They both work for the church and are raising 2 non biological children, 1 is their grandson, 1 is my cousin. I think those boys got it made, they weren't even a thought when my parents were at their worst.



It nearly tore me apart, because their drinking led to activities that could have easily tore them apart or killed them. I felt helpless because I couldn't seem to get through to them, no one can.



You can move out to get away from watching this destructive behavior, you are not their keeper, keep doing what you're doing, go to school, college, trade school, get that education and make a place where your siblings can feel safe if they need it.



I know that doesn't help right now, but it's how I survived mine, there's an organization called Children of Alcoholics, that might be a good place to start. There's one other thing, because of alcoholism, you and your siblings are at a high risk of repeating this pattern. I have 6 siblings, 3 of them turned out this way.



Don't deal with it alone.
1. You can't change him unless he's willing. He may be too overcome himself with this to dig out. 2. Talk to Mom and you and your MOM and family (with or without Him) get counseling. (preferably christian counseling or either) Counseling will help your mom deal with this and make decisions on what is best to do for your sibling and it will help you sibling to know 1. it's not anything your doing to make him do this 2. You can't take blame. 3. You can bind together and be strong with Mom. 4. You can ensure that you and your siblings future will be nothing like your dads. By the way, Dad can come back around. Try looking to God and asking Him for your answers. Call on Him and ask Him to give your Mom answers to this uphill mountain. In the meantime, keep your eyes looking up as you climb. When your looking up to Him, He will take your hand and give you peace and love that no one else ever will be able to give you. He wants to carry your burdens. Email me if I can help you further. Regina
I know that it is rough, but moving out won't help the situation. He will still be affecting your family. Have you ever heard of al anon?

1-888-4AL-ANON (1-888-425-2666) Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 6:00pm ET.

They can help.
You can not get help for your dad if he doesnt want the help. However, you and your mom can get involved in ALANON and your siblings in ALATEEN to learn to deal with and alcoholic.
There is a group and a book called, ';Adult Children of Alcoholics';. It is so excellent. Even your Avatar looks sad. I know what you are going through, been there done that. Here is a poem you may want to accidently on purpose leave where your Dad can read it.



AN EFFECTIVE SOLVENT

Alcohol is a product of amazing versatility.

It will remove stains from designer clothes.

It will also remove the clothes off your back.

If by chance it is used in sufficient quantity,

Alcohol will remove furniture from the home,

Rugs from the floor, food from the table,

Lining from the stomach, vision from the eyes,

And judgement from the mind.



Alcohol will also remove good reputations,

Good jobs, good friends, HAPPINESS FROM CHILDREN'S HEARTS,

Man's ability to adjust and live with his fellow man,

And even life itself.

As a remover of things, alcohol has no equal.



Here are some reasons why not to grow old with an alcoholic:



';Alcohol is one of most common causes of insanity, epilepsy, paralysis, diseases of the liver and stomach, dropsy, and tuberculosis';..Dr. Frederick Peterson, former president, New York State Commission in Lunacy.

';No other poison causes so many deaths or leads to or intensifies so many diseases, both physical and mental, as does alcohol.';--Dr. Emil Bogen, nationally known toxicologist.

';Alcohol is a poison, a dangerous, habit forming drug.';--Dr. Arthur Dean Beven, former president, American Medical Association.--National Voice';



EACH DAY AND EACH MOMENT IS A CHOICE!!



Father, be with this young person and heal her hurting heart. Put a hedge of protection around her and the family. Help her to turn her Dad over to you and not take responsibility for him. His character and personality belongs to you Father...please heal him and help him to see what he is doing to his family. If he feels he is not measuring up in some way then help him to lean on you so he can know the peace, love and joy that passes human understanding. We know that anger is sadness turned inside out. Give them all hope and help us all to be ready for your Kingdom when you come. Amen

God bless you young one.



? Heaven Bound Prayer Warrior ?br>


';Look up for your redemption draweth nigh';. Mmm

No comments:

Post a Comment