Sunday, November 21, 2010

How to deal with an alcoholic parent?

Since i have been alive, i'm now 16, my dad has been a verbally abusive alcholic. I drives me to tears when he gets into my face when he drinks and i don't know what to do. I love him sober until he drinks. God i'm just gaving a horrible life right now. Please give me some adviceHow to deal with an alcoholic parent?
Do you speak to him about it when he is sober? Are there any other family member that can help you with this? An alcoholic is not going to admit he/she has a problem!How to deal with an alcoholic parent?
Tell him when he is sober how u feel. Tell him that the more he drinks and treats u like this the more it is seperating u two and paralizing ur relationship with him. I totally understand, my dad is an alchaholic and has been my whole life. It actually got so bad that he started using crack when I was around ur age or maybe 17 and he lost his job, and it totally turned my whole life upside down. I'm now almost 23. U have to tell him that it's not only his life he is ruining but yours too. Good luck!
At 16 you are able to help yourself!!!! So, get help. Go to Teen/Alanon.........Or couseling.

You aren't responsible for the alcoholic or the parent, but helping yourself will also help him. There is alot to learn about alcoholism, and the more you know the better and easier it is to deal with it.

You can't help your dad. He has to help himself. But, you can learn how to support him (mentally and emotionally) should he ever decide to get sober,,,,,,,
Look in the phone book for Alateen and Al-Anon (spelling) and Alcoholics Anonymous. Your situation is a common one and Alateen is people exactly like you with guidance and self support.

Start here.

http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment