Sunday, November 21, 2010

How can I deal living with an alcoholic?

During this past summer, my sister ended up in the hospital twice due to her drinking. She ended up going to rehab and now she is living with us again. My dad had recently passed away from alcoholism. I think it kind of gave her an excuse to drink again. I have found so many bottles of vodka in her room. I try to talk to her, but she usually just sits there and doesn't say a thing. Like one night, my mom caught her drinking and she said you better straighten out else you are going to have to get out of here. Well, we ended up catching her drinking again the next day. I realize when she is drinking because her voice gets all nice and she starts to slurl her words and she does these certain face expressions.

Tonight, I think she has been drinking. I asked her and she denied it. I was like well then let me search your room. Obviously, if she let me search her room, she isn't hiding anything, but I don't know! It's just so frustrating. Then, she handed me this book telling me to read it and maybe I should go to a program to understand alcoholics. Well, how about no. I know plenty because of my dad. I may be only fifteen years old, but this has been really effecting my life. If she doesn't straighten up, she will end up dying just like my dad. Help!How can I deal living with an alcoholic?
I was married to an alcoholic for 27 years. You can not make them stop, they have to want to. How to get them to make that decision is beyond me as my ex was drunker than I'd ever seen him the day I left him and filed for divorce. I went to one meeting of a group to support alcoholics going through treatment (my ex was attending AA meetings which was required after his 2nd DUI). Their attitude was 'you can't make them stop so do whatever you want that makes you happy';. This was not the support group for me and I never went back. My ex called me for almost a year after the divorce asking me to a movie or dinner. I asked him if he'd quit drinking and he said no, and I told him that I was never living under the same roof again with him. His response was he just wanted a date. I said ';If I don't want to be married to you, why would I want to date you? What part of DIVORCE do you not understand';. He quit calling me after that!How can I deal living with an alcoholic?
do you know the difference between an alcoholic and a drunk?

drunks don't go to meetings.

The only way a drunk can get well is because they want to and have professional help.
get yourself support from Al-non..
Alannon will help and give you options locally. Look up the local meeting times. It is all confidential and if you are really worried, go to one just out of your town.



http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/



Also, check out this book ';Adult Child of Alcoholics';. There are 4 family patterns and you can pick out which one your family is in and how to handle it. Here is a link to it:



http://product.half.ebay.com/The-Adult-C

No comments:

Post a Comment