Friday, November 19, 2010

How to deal with alcoholic father?

I'm 18 years old, still living at home and trying to get a job, and trying the best I can with school. My dad has these mood swings out of nowhere, and sometimes I don't know if it's my fault, or if it's just the beer. He's never ';drunk'; per say, but he definitely is mentally/physically dependant on the alcohol.



I am the only one living with him, and he's drank for quite a while. I can keep my cool with him sometimes when he has those mood swings, but I still don't know if it has to do with me or not. My family is prone to depression and it looks like I will be the same way. My older siblings pretty much kiss his *** about everything.



A few years ago, I pretty much decided that no matter how ';good'; I do at something, he'll always have this ';perfect son'; image in his mind.



How do I deal with someone like this? I'm afraid of being the same way as I get older (not drinking). I already feel I suffer from bipolar disorder and borderline personality. I'm just afraid that next time we argue that I might do something I might regret, whether it's to him, or to myself.How to deal with alcoholic father?
If you are in school (no idea which country) are you heading for university after school, at age 18? If so I'd recommend that you get out of there and get to a university where you can live away from home. Otherwise try to get a job where you can live away from home, even if you decide to go abroad for a year, to get out of the situation. They don't need you there.



Just because your father has these problems, you should not assume that you have them. You are living in exceptional circumstances. You need to get away from these circumstances and then after a year you feel that you still have problems you need to get counselling, and talk about this traumatic childhood that you have got. However by then it is quite possible that you will have come to terms with your own life and worth and gained some self-esteem. I think you are wrong to assume that you are going to turn out anything like your father.



Start planning for your future now that you are 18 and nearly out of school, and try to find a way of getting away and building your own life. Your father may then come to terms with who you are more easily than if you are at home where he can control your life. He has your older siblings to look after him if necessary or at least to fill the gap. You need space to come to terms with who you are and you could well surprise yourself by discovering you are stronger than you thought you were.How to deal with alcoholic father?
Ok, its not your fault. ive been through it, when he has these mood swings try just going out for a bit or just dnt speak to him for a while but, remember its NEVER your fault
You should enroll in college and sleep in the dorms as soon as you graduate.



Removing yourself from the unhealthy environment might curb some of the

dysfunction in your life.



You are not doomed to depression or psychiatric disorders.



You can go get help to handle what is going on with you.



You can also seek help for dealing with your dad by checking out:

alateen.org



Best wishes
u should start drinking him under the tables, he will be embarrassed that his son drinks more then him and then he will stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment