Friday, November 19, 2010

How to deal with alcoholic & mentally disturbed relatives?

I'm a 26 yr old guy.



Both my parents are alcoholics. I believe my mum has mental illness also, but refuses to see anyone. I have approached their GPs %26amp; asked for help, %26amp; begged out of hours doctors to come out %26amp; assess but it has all fallen on deaf ears. They are a danger to themselves %26amp; eachother.



I decided to leave, but was asked to stay by my father as he tried to dry himself out, but her (Mental bullying %26amp; attacks) have helped him relapse.



I am feeling very despondent now what do you think I should do?How to deal with alcoholic %26amp; mentally disturbed relatives?
Please seek out Alanon. They are a support group for people who live with alcoholics. When someone in the home drinks it effects everything and is the focus of all your time and energy. Alanon is a great source in helping to deal with all of your fears and frustration and you will meet some great people who understand because they are going thru the same thing. Whatever you say in meetings stays in the meetings. Go online and look for them in your area. There are meetings everywhere and they have helped millions of people. Please give them a try. The meetings are free always. Nothing to join, no dues just help! =)How to deal with alcoholic %26amp; mentally disturbed relatives?
Essentially I think you have to learn to protect yourself and find a healthy balance in life for yourself. I think that in itself can be hard enough when you come from a difficult family. I find my family hard and what I do now is make sure I am ok, stable and sorted in my own life before I can go in and try to help anybody else. At the end of the day they have their own lives and problems to sort out and as much as you love them as their son, you also have your own life to live. x
There is nothing you can do if they don't want to help themselves. It would be less painful for you to bang your head against a brick wall. The best thing you can do is protect yourself and avoid them as much as possible
you can only do so much, they have to want to help themselves. the only thing you could really do is if your mom flips out and you call the cops if they see her that way they will send her to a psych ward
This is a very sad situation, you are 26, you can live elsewhere, they have made their decisions to live like this, they can only be helped if they want to be, and if they ask for it. See your own Doctor and tell him/her the situation, they can offer guidance and get you some support. Tell them both that you still love and care for them but cannot bear to see what they are doing to themselves. There are lots of organisations that help people in your position, Alcoholics Anonymous would be able to give you advice, but start with your own Doctor.
Join the local chapter of AA that deals with the family members of alcoholics. I forget the name but is is national here in the US.

Basically, there isn't much you can do. You're growing up in a toxic environment. Make a plan to leave, save money to carry out the plan, and then leave.
Check out your local Social Services - either Older Persons Team or Mental Health Team. Get a rapport going and ask for their help. They can access and that should get the ball rolling for some health. Check your local Health Authority and ask for help. They maybe able to put you in touch with mental health consultant at your nearest hospital.... ask everyone for help. Assessment could take some time but it should eventually kick in... Good luck.
I'm sorry but you need Professional help like AA approach them



Good luck
Hi, This is a difficult one, i know because i have dealt with a close alcoholic relative for the past 35 years, in my experience the only person who can help them are themselves, they have to want to do it. No matter how much other relatives are concerned and try to help, they themselves have to do it. For years we tried, my sister used to fool the people in the clinics, and the hospitals we took her everywhere and did everything humanly possible, but after just a few weeks she always went back onto the drink. I do feel sorry for your dad because he has tried but as long as he is still with your mum the temptation of drink is always there, BUT the person i feel for is you, because you have been brought up with this, and to be honest i think that you may be better leaving, but being close enough to keep your eye on them both, (because you will still worry about them) you don't want your health to suffer because of your parents. I know that my sister is beyond help now, i do help where i can. Good Luck to you,
  • mobile
  • hair bands
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment