Sunday, November 21, 2010

How to deal with an alcoholic father?

I'm 18 years old, still living at home and trying to get a job, and trying the best I can with school. My dad has these mood swings out of nowhere, and sometimes I don't know if it's my fault, or if it's just the beer. He's never ';drunk'; per say, but he definitely is mentally/physically dependant on the alcohol.



I am the only one living with him, and he's drank for quite a while. I can keep my cool with him sometimes when he has those mood swings, but I still don't know if it has to do with me or not. My family is prone to depression and it looks like I will be the same way. My older siblings pretty much kiss his *** about everything.



A few years ago, I pretty much decided that no matter how ';good'; I do at something, he'll always have this ';perfect son'; image in his mind.



How do I deal with someone like this? I'm afraid of being the same way as I get older (not drinking). I already feel I suffer from bipolar disorder and borderline personality. I'm just afraid that next time we argue that I might do something I might regret, whether it's to him, or to myself.How to deal with an alcoholic father?
My father is a alcoholic himself. He goes to work and everything but as soon as his done with working, he has to drink. He does this on a daily basis for like forever, even when he wasn't married he had a drinking problem according to grandma and other family members. Depression also runs in my family too! I even have depression and social anxiety we have alot in common lol

My best advice to you, is just stick it out cause where you gonna go? Your only 18 years old, you can't pay the bills. Keep up with your studies and do well in them, go to college or university and once you start working, get the hell out of there and start living on your own or find a room-mate. When your dad starts to bug you, just walk away. Go to your room and listen to music or whatever you like doing. Call a friend and go outside just try keeping your kool around him till he gets sober.How to deal with an alcoholic father?
You need to take up drinking.



HEY!!! You've gotta fight fire with fire I always say!
he's probably just stressed - alcohol makes him feel good...
Well, you are 18 so you're legally an adult. You can try and stay at a friend's house and help out around their house since I'm gonna assume that you couldn't pay rent. When you do get a job, the first thing you can do is invest in an apartment and move out of your dad's house. As to being afraid about your next argument with him, as soon as you feel that line being crossed, leave. Take yourself out of the situation before it gets out of hand. Go to a friend's house, go to a park, take a long walk or ride in the car (if you drive), etc. You kinda gotta be ahead of yourself on that one. I hope it works out well. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment