Sunday, November 21, 2010

How do you deal with an alcoholic mother?

I do not know what to do? My husband and I live with my parents to save up money to buy a house and she drinks vodka and wine every night. My husband is now getting involved into family issues and she does not think that she has a problem? How do I confront the situation without hurting her feelings. Other then the drinking she is the most sincere, trusting, and caring person you will ever meet. Also, the addiction is very hush hush, she is a functioning alcholic who goes to work mon-fri 40 hrs. a week at a hospital and they have no idea. my mother becomes mean and evil, she does not listen and she in considerant. I just feel stuck because without living with my parents (rent free) I will never save enough money to buy a house! Please help,How do you deal with an alcoholic mother?
She sounds like a bed time drinker.... if you can, avoid that time during your day... head to bed early, watch a movie in another place, go out for a walk. You can not change her, but you can love her and still take care of you. Try saying something like ';Mom - I love you and would love to watch tv with you, but i dont enjoy our time when you are drinking...so I am going to join you another time'; Hope that helps. Been in your shoes! mkHow do you deal with an alcoholic mother?
Just pray for her. If she doesn't ';think'; that she is an alcoholic, then your attempts are worthless. God is the only one to help her. God Bless
I would talk to a real estate agent and see if you can rent to buy and just get out!
i have the same problem with my mother and grandmother. My grandmother is a functional alcoholic, but my mother is just a straight up drunk. I tell them how i feel and what their actions is doing to our family, it helped with my grandmother but didnt work with my mother. So i just hide my mother stuff, and if shes drinking something clear i would mix it with water. or hide her keys so she doesnt leave out to buy something from the store. Its very hard to deal with people like that, but if you love them you would do your best to help them with thatt problem.
You're complaining about someone who allows you and your spouse to live there rent free?



Ever think that maybe the reason she gets edgy is that she has a couple of sponges staying with her?
leave some AA leaflets within her reach, and when she passes comment, offer to go with her?
Give her a bottle of tequila as a present she will apreciate it

and you will live there for free all youre life.
Get yourself to an Alanon Meeting. It is for relatives of alcoholics and very helpful at teaching you what works and what doesn't work when it comes to dealing with an alcoholic. There you will find your answers, hope and lots of help.



You can do a search for Alanon Family Groups or call the local AA hotline to get info about meetings in your area.
hide all of her alcohol and dont let her have it

No comments:

Post a Comment