Tuesday, November 16, 2010

How to deal with an alcoholic mother?

My mother has been sneaking drinks for about 2 plus years now. It has become the worst lately. I am getting married 2 1/2 months, I don't include her in any plans and don't plan on letting her see her grandchildren when the time comes, even though she can't wait for grandkids. I used to be able to talk to her for hours, now I don't even want to be near her. How do I get her to understand she needs to seek medical help? How do I stay sane through it?How to deal with an alcoholic mother?
I hate to say this but you can't deal with alcoholics. When they reach rock bottom and have lost everything maybe then they will want help, but until then you're wasting your time.How to deal with an alcoholic mother?
I have an alcoholic father that I grew up with and it was pretty hard. One thing I learned was that you can tell someone over and over to get help, but untill they are ready to admit that there is a problem, theres not a whole lot you can do. They have to want to get help.
Consider al-anon for the families of alcoholics - it is confidential, free and located throughout the USA. It might not help Mom but it will put you in touch with people who know exactly what is happening to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment